Bulk, if not all, of the information, tips and advice provided by this site is a result of many hours of research and reading. The writers collated bits and pieces of information from official guides to the IELTS exam, e-books written by respected and experienced examiners and reliable websites and blogs.
Below are our top recommended books and resources to help you prepare for the IELTS Exam:
IELTS MUST-HAVE BOOKS:
A. OFFICIAL GUIDES TO IELTS
1. The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS Student’s Book: This student book is an essential tool for your IELTS exam preparation. This provides detailed information about the exam, how you will be assessed, scoring guide, what to expect in the exam, practice tests and a lot of helpful tips.
2. IELTS General Training & Academic Study Guide: This is a good addition to your IELTS preparation. This guide book is developed by the IELTS Academic and General Training Prep Team which makes it a reliable tool. Like the Cambridge English official guide, this book also contains practice questions for listening, reading, writing and speaking modules.
3. IELTS Trainer: Like the other books mentioned above, this book provides a step by step guide to scoring high in the IELTS exam. This is packed with tips and advice on how to succeed in the test. What is best about this book is that it focuses on students’ common mistakes in taking the test, thus, helping future test takers to avoid making the same mistakes.
B. PRACTICE BOOKS
CAMBRIDGE IELTS (1-12) ACADEMIC and IELTS GENERAL TRAINING BOOKS: These are authentic IELTS examination papers which students should practice with before the exam. Because these are authentic materials, they provide great practice opportunities for future exam takers to work on.
1. IELTS VOCABULARY BOOSTER (for Kindle): This book features more than 500 words that are essential to achieving a high score in the IELTS exam. What is great about this book is that it focuses on the most common IELTS topics, especially in the essay writing section such as food, technology, health and education to name a few.
2. COLLIN’S VOCABULARY FOR IELTS: This is a well-designed book aimed at increasing student’s vocabulary for the IELTS exam. It does not only include topical vocabulary but also features techniques on how to signpost, collocations, describing cause and effect and other essential phrases.
3. IELTS BAND 9 VOCAB SECRETS (for Kindle): This a comprehensive IELTS vocabulary book written by Cambridge IELTS Consultants. This book provides essential vocabulary for the top 10 IELTS topics.
We are going to update this Recommendation page every now and then in order to help you find valuable help for your IELTS Exam Preparation.
If you have taken IELTS before and would like to add books and helpful links to our readers, feel free to leave a comment and we will be happy to add them to the list.